Friday, March 27, 2009

The Elite 8 is Right Around the Corner


I'm on a bus to NYC right now and typing this post on my Blackberry, so forgive any spelling or gramatical errors. I felt like I needed to post after last night's eventful games in college basketball.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the entire NCAA tournament so far, as it has given the fans some thrilling last minute winners (Gonzaga), Cinderella stories (Western Kentucky), overtime thrillers (Wisconsin vs. FSU), and total domination (UConn). I had the luxury of watching the first and part of the second rounds of the tourney from Las Vegas thanks to Kevin Parker's wonderful family letting us stay at their timeshare out there. Thus, I was able to legally bet on the games and not to brag, but I won all that I bet, even though it was only three games. I bet VCU (+8, lost by 1 to UCLA),#12 Wisconsin (+2.5, won by 2 in OT) to upset #5 FSU, and Texas (+7.5, lost by 5) to cover against the Dukies. It was a productive week at the least.So with the upset of #3 Mizzou over #2, and still pissed off for not getting a 1 seed, Memphis last night, I got to thinking...what is the Final Four picture going to look like and who, actually, should win in the beginning of April? First, I think Louisville will take a spot because 1) I think Rick Pinto is one of the best coaches in the league (even though he was no good for the Celtics) and 2) Terrance Williams has the potential to be the best player in the NCAA, as he's a threat from anywhere. However, with their recent play including the slow start against #16 Morehead State and just barely squeezing by #9 Siena by 5 points, I just don't see them matching up well with any other #1 seeds unless they intensly step it up.Next, you have to give it to UConn. After that 6 overtime loss in the Big East tournament, they have playing remarkably and if they continue, nobody will stop them from winning it all. #5 Purdue gave them the hardest time all tournament last night, and UConn still led for the entire game and won by 12, with Jeff Adrien turning in his worst performance so far (8 points, 6 rebounds). If Hasheem Thabeet keeps playing like he did last night (15 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks), UConn will be unstoppable.In the East Region, you have to love Pitt. They have been arguably the most dominant team this year with a star point guard in Levance Fields, an amazing powerhouse of a center in DeJuan Blair, and an exceptional supporting cast. Plus, this is their first regional final since 1974...think they're a little excited to be there right now?
And my last Final Four team is...
::drum roll::Oklahoma! "WHAT?!" you're saying. Not THE North Carolina Tarheels and the potential player of the year Tyler Hansborough?? Nope. Maybe it's my intense man-crush on Blake Griffin or just not wanting to see four #1 seeds like last year, but I think Oklahoma has the best chance to take down the Carolina powerhouse and Roy Williams (no offense, Roy. Still love ya). Blake Griffin has been my favorite player all year and a sensational individual both on and off the court. He has the drive and tenacity to take his team past one of the best, if not the, best and most popular organization in the NCAA. However, he's not the entire team. His brother, Taylor is also a force and Oklahoma's perimeter game with Willie Warren, Tony Crocker, and Austin Johnson, who all average at least 34 percent from 3-point land, isn't too shabby either. So there's your Final Four. Now who wins?
I have to go with my bracket and initial instinct here. The Pittsburgh Panthers are going to win it all. If they play with perfection in the last few rounds, there is no doubt in my mind that they can beat anyone in the league. But we'll see...that's what is so great about March Madness: you never know what you're going to get.

"This is a very special atmosphere in the Big East. The people are right on top of the floor. It's not like the pro atmosphere you have at places like Madison Square Garden and the Meadowlands. This is the essence of college basketball."
-Dick Vitale

No comments:

Post a Comment